Chennai Port (Tamil: சென்னைத் துறைமுகம்), formerly known as Madras Port, is the second largest port of India, behind the Mumbai Port. It is over 125 years old. This was a major travel port before becoming a major container port. It is a substantial reason for the economic growth of Tamil Nadu, especially for the manufacturing boom in South India. Its container traffic crossed 1 million TEUs for the first time in 2008. It is currently ranked the 91st largest container port and is expanding in the coming years.
Situated in the coromandel coast in South-East India, the port of Chennai has more than 100 years of tradition. Strategically located and well connected with major parts of the world, it is today the hub port on the Indian subcontinent. Committed to efficiency through innovation the Four corner stones of the port will see much growth in the years to come. Continuous modernization, efficient services at minimum cost, simple and integrated procedures, and user-friendly approach.
Tuticorin was a small town with a rich maritime history. It was the center for maritime trade and pearl fishery. It was ruled by various dynasties like the Pandyas and Cholas, then fell into the hands of the Portuguese and Dutuch before finally coming under the administration of the British. The natural harbour and rich hinterland of Tuticorin Port prompted the East Indian Company to plan the development of the harbour. The lighthouse built in 1842 marked the beginning of the history of Tuticorin Harbour Development Wooden piers and iron screwpile pier were constructed and trolleyrails laid to connect the Port to the railway.
INDEPENDENCE AND AFTER
Tuticorin became the citadel of the freedom in the early 20th centuary. In 1906, the great freedom fighter of India, V.O. Chidambaram Pillai launched the first Swadeshi ship in British India. The minor Port of Tuticorin had a flourishing trade handling a variety of cargoes meant for the neighbouring countries of Sri Lanka, Maldives etc. and the coastal regions of India.
Thursday, December 9, 2010
1:28 PM sadagoban g.k No comments